Wednesday, October 01, 2003

Still got a bit of a sore throat and head from this damn bug. At least some kind frenchmen had bought PIMS biscuits to work today, which is a bit of a Movies Dept craze.
Read an interesting discussion today about whether games sites like mine should offer a demo or not, or just persuade people to buy the game unplayed. IU'm a big fan of try-before-you buy myself, so I dont see my policy on that changing anytime soon.
I'm seriously considering buying a new PC, so I've been reading a few PC magazines. The views on budget PCs in these mags really annoys me. I've read that "this machine is ok if you just want to surf the web and write emails, but for games its a total no-no" when discussing a 2.4 gig athlon with 256 MB RAM and onboard video.
This is total crap. You can play hundreds of games on a machine that good, I'm sure most of mine would run quite happily. This crazed assumption that everyone needs a gig of RAM and a 256 MB Video card is insane. StarLines runs quite happily with 16 or even 8MB of video memory.
Its sad to think that Joe public is so comprehensively conned by sales people into buying a PC of a spec they just dont need. I recently recommended a low spec PC to some friends, who are perfectly happy now surfing the web, listening to music and playing Medal of Honour with all the options turned up, on a damn cheap machine.
Dont spend over £1000 on a PC, you are just throwing money away ;)
BTW I'm an MCSE and ex PC repair dude, so I know a bit about PC hardware ;)