Thursday, July 10, 2003

while my code burns to a backup disk prior to the big case swap I thought I'd waffle about my background etc and how I got to be doing what I'm doing now:

I've been writing games as a hobby for eons, starting with the 1k RAM ZX81 when I was about 11. I didnt get serious about writing games until about 5 or so years ago. Initially I did it as a hobby while I worked in IT, eventually I had a few games selling well enough on the web that I thought I could do it full time. This lasted about a year, during which I burnt through most of my savings from my IT days and basically failed to make enough money to live on. At that point I ended up working at ELIXIR, which was at the time my dream job, as I was keen to work on Republic : The Revolution.
I was at Elixir for about a year and a half but eventually got sick of the four hours a day commute!
I then went indie again for a few months, during which I wrote Planetary Defense, which doesnt sell that well, but I'm very proud of. I was then lucky enough to get the The Movies is an excellent game which is huge fun to work on, and Lionhead is certainly one of the best places I have ever worked (and believe me, I have worked lots of places).

My current 'hobby' project is to rewrite my Space Strategy game StarLines INC so that it looks and plays better, and hopefully even sells better. I've learned a hell of a lot since I originally wrote it, so there is lots to be improved upon. I've gone back and improved the game many times since I first wrote it, and have always thought it sold better afterwards. I dont have concrete figures to prove that theory unfortunately!
I'll post some more codey thoughts once I've moved past the current work, which is moving the code for the starport GUI over to my new classes, and is a bit tedious.

This acousticase ships with twenty gigatons of foam and plastic sheeting. might take all night...