Saturday, September 03, 2005

Work on my new (undisclosed) game is very slow right now, due to crunch time on other stuff. However, I did reach a bit of a 'eureka' moment where the interface suddenly started looking a bit cool. In the past, I've been a bit too hung up on the elegance of the simulation, and ensuring that I have a balanced game, that the gameplay is different etc, but I think unless you have that initial 'wow' factor that makes for a game that looks instantly appealing in screenshots, you are fighting a difficult battle from the very start.
I have a number of ideas for games that I think would be great, but I have not had much luck in dreaming up an interface that would work well with the game and at the same time have instant appeal. I'm aiming the new game at a slightly less hardcore market than democracy, but I think it will also have enough cross-appeal for people who have bought the game and joined my mailing list to be interested in. I just wish I had some more time to work on it, although I will have soon.