Thursday, July 21, 2005

GTA - Smell the Coffee
You MUST have read about this 'mod' scandal by now? Anyway, my take on it is that Rockstar are acting like dorks, don't try and slip one past the ESRB, thats just pathetic and makes the whole industry look immature. Thankfully it looks like its rebounding on them. WalMart are unlikely to stock another Rockstar game.
This all feeds the legal frenzy that modern game development has become. One of the benefits of owning your own company is that you can bypass a load of legal crap. I don't need people to sign an NDA before I tell them how to mod new policies for Democracy, in fact I'm heavily encouraging it.
I'm working on a few tweaks to the game, especially different election terms per country and hopefully some country-specific dilemmas. Anyone have good ideas for these?
I've got some good response from recent emails to the academic world about the game. This is something I need to follow up more.
My advertising campaign has been stalled by the owner of one website becoming totally uncontactable after I've paid him... He's a well known guy, so I know he isn't going anywhere, but that kind of thing still bugs me, probably why I love google adwords so much...