Saturday, August 23, 2003

Work continues slowly on the new Menu code for StarLines. I've also been dithering a lot about what new motherboard and CPU etc to get in order for my home PC to be a suitable system to play Eve Online. At the moment I'm leaning towards an Intel Motherboard, 2.4 gig chip and 512 meg of RAM. The thing that puts me off is the thought of having to install Windows 2000 again, which is sad really as I am MCSE qualified, but I just know it will lead to lots of cursing and getting depressed about having screwed it up etc...
Of course reinstalling your O/S is a good thing to do some times anyway, and the stupid partioning on my current 2 drive setup means that doing so is long overdue. Personally I hate Windows XP, so won't be upgrading to it anytime soon, although hopefully a fresh W2k install will mean it will actually allow me to service pack it properly, unlike my current install which is extremely flaky.
I've sold a few shareware copies of Starlines in recent days which is pretty encouraging. I've decided I'll be radically changing the monetary values in the new game, so that instead of a module costing 200 CR it will be more like 2000. The bigger numbers just 'feel' better, just one more thing I'm learning from Eve.