Monday, July 23, 2007

Shiny interface stuff

I didn't do any simulation code today, but just worked on pretty GUI stuff for Democracy. I think the games basic idea and mechanics are pretty cool, but it's always looked a little bit amateurish and academic, and certainly looks uninviting n comparison with big budget games, so it was time to redress that.

Generally, when people do this, they find some justification for making the game 3D, but that would be pointless. Democracy is a 2D game, like chess. It would be a waste of effort, and would muddy the interface to make that change. I think the game would actually be inferior.
So I've been putting effort into making the 2D interface as nice as I can. It's already looking nicer, and when I'm happy with some sections, I'll put together some early screenshots.

There will always be some people who will not think my games are any good because they are 2D. This bothers me less than it used to, as these people tend not to like the kind of games I make anyway, so it's no great loss.