Thursday, October 14, 2004

Got some work done on democracy. I'm pretty happy with the workings of the new grudge system. some basic playtesting shows the game needs balancing (although its getting better) but the real problem is I need the 'shakeup' code. This is stuff that will 'prod' the simulation periodically to prevent you getting your country into a stable state and then just leaving it there forever.
This will be stuff like terrorist attacks etc etc. I previously had this in the 'dilemma' system, which ive commented out for now. I'm considering a new system of 'one-off' events that would bestow positive as well as negative grudges.
So if your tech investment is really good for a while, I might trigger a 'tech breakthrough' event which gives a short term boost to GDP etc.
But the big decision I'm agonizing over is the representation of the games simulation data. This is stuff like Suiciderate, AverageWage etc etc. its all modelled, but do I show it to the player? I dare not cram yet MORE icons onto the screen, but a separate table of them seems bizzare.
Dare I just hide all of them? can't decide.....
sales have been flat, but I've cut back on my advertising while I wait for the banner ad artist (or hell to freeze over...)