Sunday, September 26, 2004

I might be updating more often. I'm planning on using the blog more as a Democracy online design document from now on...

Current Dilemma
===============
Ok, I have the simulation working, but I am trying to design the interface by which events and advice etc are given to the player. I have already coded systems to present news, to present advice and give the player dilemmas, but the fragmentation of this approach bugs me as it looks all very 'thrown-together'.
My current theory is that I should handle things like a mail account inbox, with the player effectively getting email messages for allsorts of stuff. So once you click next turn, your inbox might say:

Pollution levels rising...
Overseas investment company seeks grant...
Unpopularity rises amongst the retired...
Health spending now taking effect...


And each item would be clickable, with more data available. I also need to integrate the dilemmas into this system, and have them represented onscreen. so if you give permission for a new nuclear power plant (for example) this would be a policy that's shown onscreen, even if its one you cannot change easily (or at all).
I may spend some time playing Sim City to see how then handled this stuff.
I am currently wishing I'd done a puzzle game, as this one is proving extremely difficult...